There is much interest in Absinthe, the drink referred to as Green Fairy or La Fee Verte. People would like to know how to buy it, what type to buy, the way to prepare it and what is the suggested volume of Absinthe to use when contriving a drink.
First you have to buy a quality Absinthe which is abundant in essential oils and that contains wormwood. There are plenty of Absinthe substitutes and fake Absinthes www.absinthekit.com available for sale that may contain southernwood or roman wormwood in place of common wormwood (artemisia absinthium). Be sure you obtain a proper real Absinthe. If you live in a country where it is difficult to find a good quality Absinthe then you could create your own Absinthe using essences coming from AbsintheKit.com.
When you have got your Absinthe, you simply must learn The Ritual, or La Louche. This is actually the traditional French or Swiss way of preparing Absinthe and it uses one shot of Absinthe. Here are the instructions:-
To carry out the Ritual, you will require an Absinthe glass, a slotted Absinthe spoon, a lump of sugar as well as iced water.
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon covering the rim of the glass and put a cube of sugar onto it.
– Slowly drip iced water on the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or simply by using a constant hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it slowly will provide the sugar possiblity to dissolve and drip throughout the slots of the spoon. You should view a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The Absinthe louches since the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol however, not in water and so make the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added.
– Relax and revel in your Absinthe drink.
The Bohemian or Czech Method is much like the Ritual but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is scorned by many Absinthe followers.
Instructions and tricks for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe to the glass and dip the sugar cube in it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube over the Absinthe spoon and rest around the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for just one minute to permit the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar must drip throughout the slots of the spoon and in to the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon to the Absinthe and pour the ice cold water in the Absinthe to place out any flames and to make the Absinthe to louche.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe drink.
If you wish to enjoy your Absinthe properly the you will want some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons and perhaps even an Absinthe fountain to manipulate the flow of the water. Replicas of antique spoons and glasses can be acquired from AbsintheKit.com.
So, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to work with in planning an Absinthe drink? About 45ml or maybe a US shot. Obviously, you can utilize Absinthe in cocktails too – look for recipes online.